What is Google Discover?Google user’s can discover new content inside of Google’s search engine without a search query. Beginning back in 2016 with Google’s app update and Google Feed, Google app users began seeing a smart feed. This update allowed users to ‘discover’ related content and to follow a feed based on their search queries. Today this product has a new name and new look and it’s called Google Discover.
How to Know if Your Content Appears On Google DiscoverAt the time of writing this post, the only way to verify if your website content is appearing in Google Discover is through Google Search Console. In Google Search Console, you will see the Performance Report for Google Discover in the left hand navigation. If you do not see the Performance Report for Google Discover, a message appear telling you the reason why your not appearing in Google Discover. For more businesses, the reason may be your site is not be reaching the traffic threshold for the report.
What is the traffic threshold to appear in Google Discover?Google has not disclosed this information and it’s likely that a substantial amount of organic traffic before the performance report will appear. Is it possible to see performance report even if it does not appear in Search Console? Yes! Simply navigate to https://search.google.com/search-console/performance/discover and you will see your Google Discover Performance Report.
NOTE: You have to have your website setup in Google Search Console for the Google Discover Performance Report to work. You may not see many Impressions or Clicks, but don’t get discouraged. Let me show you how you can improve your website’s appearance in Google Discover.
How to get my website in Google Discover?
“Content is automatically eligible to appear in Discover if it is indexed by Google and meets Discover’s content policies. No special tags or structured data are required. Please note that being eligible to appear in Discover is not a guarantee of appearing.”< p class=”text-align-center”>Keep these points in mind if you want your web content to appear in Google Discover.
- Make sure website is indexed in Google.
- Do not violate Google Discover’s content policies.
- There are no guarantees even if you meet conditions 1 and 2. 🤦🏽♂️
1) Avoid misleading, click-bait type content
- Cure to COVID-19 discovered in Atlantic Ocean.
- Buzz Aldrin confirms alien spacecraft discovered on Apollo 11 mission.
- Become a professional basketball player overnight.
2) Write E-A-T content
- Is this content original or adding a new perspective?
- Does this content add value and worth reading or sharing?
- Is the content accurate and factual, or is it misleading?
3) Provide a Quality Web Experience
- Mobile Friendly Website: Do you have to pinch and zoom on smart phones? Then it’s NOT mobile-friendly.
- SSL Certificate: Is there a warning in the address bar about the site being insecure?
- High Quality Images: Google specifically says images need to be at least 1200 px wide, and avoid logos for posts.
- Author and Date: Include the author’s full name with a bio, and a date the piece was published or last updated.
- Contact Info: Add NAP to the footer so it appears on every page or a social media link for people to follow.